Substance Abuse Counselor
The Benedict Center is seeking a Substance Use and Mental Health Counselor to join our community-based outpatient program dedicated to helping women in the criminal justice system live healthier, safer lives.
Treatment services are temporarily remote via telehealth during the COVID-19 pandemic (option to work from home or office).
The Benedict Center is a leader in providing counseling, advocacy and support for women in the justice system. As advocates for social justice, you will be supported in providing culturally relevant, trauma-responsive and gender-responsive care for women as we help them navigate out of the maze of the criminal justice system.
The primary responsibility for this position is to provide SUB and Mental Health treatment to program participants including group, individual, and family sessions as needed.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Utilize the DSM-5 in conjunction with an AODA screen and assessment to diagnose and create treatment plans
- Facilitate evidence-based groups including Seeking Safety (trauma), Moving On (CBT), and other treatment and education groups as assigned.
- Provide individual counseling to participants on a regular basis
- Maintain working relationship with Benedict Center treatment team and with staff from other agencies providing ongoing care or supervision of client for coordination of client services
- Attend clinical supervision meetings
- Attend staff meetings and staffing with medical director and system partners
- Complete all documentation for treatment plans, discharge summaries, and all other documentation to comply with all state certification regulations
- Participate in client registration/orientation sessions as needed
- Complete reports and documentation that are required for Community Corrections, Courts, other agencies and funding sources
- Attend in-service training, staff development activities and other trainings as is deemed necessary to provide services
Education and Experience:
- Master’s Degree in psychology, counseling or social work or other related human services field or commensurate experience. Experience working with women with substance abuse and criminal justice involvement preferred.
- Licensure, Registration and/or Certification Requirement:
- Licensed by the State of WI as a Substance Abuse Counselor (SAC-IT, SAC) and/or Mental Health Counselor (LPC-IT, LPC, APSW, etc.) Must be in good standing by the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services.
- Other skills and qualifications:
- Commitment to the mission of creating a system of justice that is fair and treats victims, offenders and the community with dignity and respect
- Training in Trauma-Informed Care principles and Motivational Interviewing practices.
- Proven ability to advocate on behalf of clients within the criminal justice system and the community.
- Commitment to providing services that are gender-responsive, evidence-based and that reflect the practices of Stages of Change Theory and Harm Reduction.
- Ability to work well with women from diverse economic, racial, ethnic, gender, sexual orientation, and religious backgrounds in an open and respectful environment.
- Commitment to self-reflection, accountability and commitment to providing culturally-effective services.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including experience with group facilitation.
- Sound judgement and ability to deescalate situations with clients
- Ability to work independently in a self-directed manner and as a team-player.
- Computer literacy and experience with databases and excel worksheets.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation and automobile insurance preferred as local travel within Milwaukee County is a requirement.
- Experience conducting telehealth individual and group therapy sessions using Zoom or similar telecommunication platforms is a plus, or willing to be train.
- Full-time, exempt position
- Paid vacation and personal/sick time
- 12 paid holidays
- Fully-paid single health coverage (family coverage available)
- Dental and vision insurance available
- Short-term disability, life, accident and other insurances also available
- Opportunity to earn hours toward licensure with our Clinical Supervisor.
Send resume: email@example.com